Sports IOC Wants Lamine Diack Suspended From IAAF Until Investigation Is Over

The International Olympics Committee have proposed that the former IAAF president, Lamine Diack, should be provisionally suspended as an honorary member.

lamine-diack.jpg

This followed IAAF's confirmation that the athletics body is ridden with corruption, much more than that of the world football governing body FIFA.

The athletics body further explained that it will expose some of the covered-up crime by the past administration on Monday- in an independent report which has already looked into claims of doping, cover-ups, and extortion in Russian athletics.

The report will show "a different scale of corruption", even compared with Fifa, said co-author Richard McLaren.

Lord Coe, president of athletics' governing body, the IAAF, has admitted these are "dark days for the sport".

In an interview with BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek, Coe added: "The day after I got elected, I started a massive review. Understandably, in the light of the allegations that have been made, that review has been accelerated.

"I'm more determined than ever to rebuild the trust in our sport. However, this is a long road to redemption."

Lawyer McLaren, told BBC World Service that the independent commission was given a "very narrow mandate" to "determine the accuracy" of allegations made in a German TV documentary about Russian athletics last December.

It claimed that Russian officials systematically accepted payment from athletes to supply banned substances and cover up tests, while the IAAF was implicated in covering up the abuse.

Wada president Sir Craig Reedie, also on Sportsweek, said of Monday's report: "I think it will be very robust in terms of what it was set up to do, which was to examine serious breaches of doping rules in Russia, and the anti-doping community and sport should be ready for that."

“We have worked very hard for this success and we hope to continue. The players will go home now but their journey is not over yet. I have football in my blood, as a player and as a coach. This is what I want to pass to my players.” BBC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back