Politics National Conference Okays Creation of State Police, Compulsory Life Insurance for all Policemen

L

LequteMan

The National Conference on Thursday approved a recommendation for the creation of state police to complement duties of the Nigeria Police Force in the country.

The approval was given during the adoption of report of the Committee on National Security in Abuja.

The conference adopted the retention of one Federal Police Force that is decentralised to involve participation by states, local governments and communities.

Following the adoption, however, some delegates raised concern on the possibility of harmonious co-existence of both federal and state police, considering that their duties might overlap.

They raised concern on the appropriate title for commissioners of police in charge of state police and federal police as well as modalities for posting commissioners under the federal system to states.

A voice vote was later taken and delegates voted against seeking the consent of a state governor before the posting of a federal police commissioner to any state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that they equally voted against state governors being involved in the running of police commands in their states.

Thereafter, the conference adopted funding of state police by state government and abolishment of monetisation of a special protection unit of the Nigeria Police Force, which seemed to privatise security.

In the same vein, a compulsory life insurance for all armed security personnel, including the police, by government was approved.

images (5).jpg

Implementing state police will be one of the worse things to happen in Nigeria.
Why so? If I may ask.

I believe anything that has a disadvantage must also have advantages.

In Physics, a theory remains a theory, until its experimented. Then it becomes a law.

Why so? If I may ask.

I believe anything that has a disadvantage must also have advantages.

In Physics, a theory remains a theory, until its experimented. Then it becomes a law.

It is dangerous to entrust the police in the hands of the state governors. They are too myopic. I know the arguments against the a federal police system, but it is not the system at fault. The state system will be a lot worse with local war lords appointing their commissioners and private armies. The state governors have enough power and enough on their plates.

@TheLeftWing has a point, but I don't think state police creation is without merit.

It does but not in Nigeria. Democracy has merits... look at the mess we are making of it. Even now the police are used and abused by powers that be. We only hear about the issues when a governor falls out with the federal government. Have you ever tried protesting against a local government chairman? When there were protest in Lagos with regards to the toll gate, it was not the federal government that deployed the police.

Maybe we should put the horse first, and the cart next. We probably don't have the discipline to effectively use state police as they should. Still, the theoretical idea of state police sounds like a good one.

An Bauchi governorship aspirant here stated that Boko Haram would not have had this startling killing spree if we had state police.

Imagine a local 'mafia' boss who works hard to get a governor in office. You will be paying protection money for everything. This happened in the states and many other places.

On life insurance - why should it be compulsory. These guys are just wasting our time. Time to close the conference, give them all party bags, thank them for their contribution to the nation and give them all OONs

@TheLeftWing You cant say you disagree with all the 'recommendations' the national confab has been producing.

They are working for the good of the nation. Moreover, not all theirr ideas will be endorsed and adopted.

@TheLeftWing You cant say you disagree with all the 'recommendations' the national confab has been producing.

They are working for the good of the nation. Moreover, not all theirr ideas will be endorsed and adopted.

On life insurance - why should it be compulsory. These guys are just wasting our time. Time to close the conference, give them all party bags, thank them for their contribution to the nation and give them all OONs

Why shouldn't life insurnce be cmpulsory if one faces gunfire often and could lose his life at any moment..and he's got a family and mouths to feed.

My apologies. I am sure there are many good things that will come out of this. But when we start getting to cimpulsory life insurance then that is a joke. They should pay pensions to people collapsing while waiting for their pensions.

Why shouldn't life insurnce be cmpulsory if one faces gunfire often and could lose his life at any moment..and he's got a family and mouths to feed.
Who will pay for the life insurance? They will deduct it from their small salaries and give it to the banks. If the government pays then all good.

Back