Sports Nigerian athletes will shine at the 2014 Commonwealth Games - Chioma Ajunwa

rsz_okagbare-2_-_copy.jpg

Former athlete and gold medallist at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics,Chioma Ajunwa is tipping Nigerian athletes to excel at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow,Scotland.

Ajunwa believes that the Athletics team are fully prepared more than past competitions,which she thinks puts them in good stead to win medals at the games commencing from July 23- August 3.

“I think this is be our best preparation for a major competition in recent years,” Ajunwa told The Punch.

Ajunwa added that the homebased athletes have been doing very well and would challenge the foreign ones for a place on the team,but she singled out Blessing Okagbare to still carry Nigeria's hopes.

“The home-based athletes have been training and I believe it won’t be easy for their foreign-based counterparts to beat them and make the Commonwealth Games team.

“They (foreign-based athletes) must work very hard because the home-based athletes are ready for them.”

“Okagbare is competing well and I believe she will win medals for the country in her events (sprints and long jump),” she said.

“I don’t know much about other foreign-based athletes but I think they are ready for the challenge.

“They must believe in themselves and aim for medals in their events.”

Back