NYSC DIARY: When the Clarion Invites You to Share Jollof Rice

A

abujagirl

I've been putting off this piece for a while now, needed to give raging tempers a chance to mellow. Here's the story - ETI OSA III Corps members were invited to a wedding to share rice.

NYSC DIARY.jpg

Let me start from the beginning. Some weeks back, on a wet Thursday my CDS group President posted a message on the group's private WhatsApp account inviting corps members for a ''community outreach''. He said only 10 people were required from each group, so those interested should indicate interest. As expected, everybody ignored the message. ''This Lagos is too stressful to be showing up for weekend outreach plus who wan pay your transport? ''

He kept repeating the message until Saturday morning, everybody kept unlooking. I was on duty that weekend so i didn't even bother checking my messages until Saturday evening. That was when i realized that ''community outreach'' was actually ''a wedding''. The Daughter of an unnamed NYSC director was getting married around Lekki and they needed corps members to dress up in seven over seven, turn up and help share rice. Can you imagine the rubbish?

That evening, one of my NYSC friends called angrily to complain that our CDS President had personally called her to make sure she turns up for the ''community outreach'' on LGI's orders . Good thing she had a saloon appointment and had instructed the President to tell the LGI to call her directly. She was calling me because she just found out the ''community outreach'' was a wedding and she was supposed to be there sharing rice and drinks. ''What if i had gone, my father will now see me on National TV sharing rice?'', she wailed into my ears.

Over the weekend the matter boiled over but alas on Monday during CDS it was revisited. Omo see vex !, Corps members yelled at the CDS President - ''How dare you call a wedding community outreach'', ''How dare you pull that stupid stunt?'' ,, ''Did you come for NYSC to do houseboy job'' ... The guy kept trying to defend himself by laughing it off and advising everybody to confront the LGI when she shows up.

Fast forward to a few minutes later, the almighty LGI shows up. She doesn't bother with 'good mornings' goes straight into a rant. She's pissed that only 2 corps members showed up to help share food at the wedding, she's also pissed that the 2 that showed up were not properly dressed. As our punishment, she's going to sign ''indiscipline'' in our CDS card for the week.

She goes on to rant about how important it is to answer the Clarion call. According to her, ''it doesn't matter when or why the clarion calls''. Said it was a thing of pride to have those 2 corps members help serve NYSC directors who were present at the wedding. She goes further to threaten everybody with an extension [well, i'm shivering]. So fam, don't forget to holla at your girl if you see me sharing rice at an owambe.

Back