Politics Obasanjo Attacks President Buhari, National Assembly and Nigerian Army

L

LequteMan

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has launched a verbal attack on President Muhammadu Buhari, the national assembly and the Nigerian military.

While delivering the keynote at the First Akintola Williams Annual Lecture, Obasanjo attacked Buhari's administration for lumping Nigeria's past three administrations (including the one he, Obasanjo, led) together and then accusing them of misgovernance.

'Buhari needs to move on'

"... let us move forward to have progress through a comprehensive economic policy and programme that is intellectually, strategically and philosophically based,” he said.

“It is easier to win an election than to right the wrongs of a badly fouled situation. When you are outside, what you see and know are nothing compared with the reality.

“And yet once you are on seat, you have to clear the mess and put the nation on the path of rectitude, development and progress leaving no group or section out of your plan, programme and policy and efforts. The longer it takes, the more intractable the problem may become.”

He also went against Buhari's plan to borrow $30bn.

“I am sure that such a comprehensive policy and programme (that will move Nigeria forward) will not support borrowing US$30 billion in less than three years. It will give us the short-, medium- and long-term picture.

“Adhocry is not the answer but cold, hard headed planning that evinces confidence and trust is the answer. Economy neither obeys orders nor does it work according to wishes. It must be worked upon with all factors considered and most stakeholders involved.

'National Assembly stinks to high heavens, Nigeria Military needs purging'

He didn't spare the National Assembly, either, saying it stinks to high heavens and that the Nigerian military needed to be purged.

"The National Assembly stinks and stinks to high heavens. It needs to be purged. With appropriate measures, the budget of the National Assembly can be brought down to less than 50% of what it is today. God will help Nigeria, but we must begin by helping ourselves.

"How I wish that the military has not descended into what it has descended to in the last seven or eight years! It is sickening! When the military is corrupt, it affects its fighting ability in many ways. Poor, used and inappropriate equipment and materials are purchased by the military for the military at the expense of the lives of fighting troops in the warfront. In some cases, nothing at all is purchased. How callous, for a General, an Air Marshall or a Naval Admiral to be so cruel and unpatriotic as to buy such inappropriate weapons, equipment, ammunition and materials for men facing the rigour and ruthlessness of an enemy force like the Boko Haram!

"It is more damnable for nothing to be bought and yet the money disappeared into their private personal pockets. I can only say to these officers that I am not proud of them, rather I am ashamed of them. Whether they are alive or dead, their family members should also be ashamed of them. And what is more, the blood of those men who died because of their nefarious and sordid acts and actions would be on their hands. I know what it could be to be poorly equipped or starved of essential weapons, ammunition, equipment and materials to fight a war. Surely, God will deal with such offenders and capital sinners, but, in addition, those who have responsibility for dealing with them here on this side of the veil should not fight shy otherwise they become accomplices.

Attachments

• obasanjo.jpg
    obasanjo.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 13
Back