Okagbare sets two African records to win the 100m in London

C

Chris Maduewesi

Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare continued enhancing her reputation,by winning the 100m Women’s event at the Anniversary Games in London on Saturday.
In a windy atmosphere in London,Okagbare defeated the world champion,Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce,in an astonishing time of 10.79 secs,an African record to claim the top prize.
The task was made easier for Okagbare after Carmelita Jeter pulled out from the finals,but the 24-year old Nigerian started poorly,and steadily gathered momentum in the last 60m of the race to chase down Barbara Pierre and steer clear to victory ahead of the chasing pack.
Earlier on Okagbare set an African record in the heat,erasing the long standing record of Gloria Alozie,which stood at 10.90secs,with her personal best of 10.86 secs.
But she improved further in the finals,with an all time best of 10.79secs,the second best time this year.
Barbara Pierre of the United States came second with a time of 10.85secs and while Kelly-Ann Baptiste from Trinidad and Tobago placed third in 10.93secs.
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce could only finish fourth in 10.94secs,despite running 10.78secs in the heat before the finals.
“I just wanted to put up a good race and I’m so excited. For me, I just want to do my best and I’ve been working hard and have tried to stay on top of my recovery. I’m hoping when it comes to Moscow that I’ll be ready,” Okagbare said after the race.
With the win on Saturday,Okagbare was able to erase the bad memories of last year’s London Olympics,where despite showing promises,she failed to win a medal.
Okagbare will now be the favourite going into the World Athletics Championship in Moscow,next month,following her impressive displays this year.

Continue reading...

Back