Metro Recession: Abuja Couple Sell Wedding Rings To Feed

P

ProfRem

A woman in her early 40s who simply identified herself as Gloria has revealed how she and her husband sold their wedding ring in order to feed and cater for the family.

New Telegraph reported that at a section of the popular Wuse Market, couples trade their highly priced bridal wears for cash.

Gloria told New Telegraph that: “My marriage is just 11 years old but I have to take this ugly decision to save my children (tears rolling her cheeks) from the unbearable ugly situation facing us.

“My husband was sacked from a construction company last year and we have been managing to survive since then, I have sold many of my valuables to cater for our feeding and I have to sell my wedding ring,” she told Inside Abuja.

abujaGold.JPG

“You and I know that it is strange for a woman to sell her wedding ring no matter what but that is the only thing I can count on for now and after discussing with my husband, he understood the situation and gave me his consent. When Inside Abuja inquired to know how much she will make from it, Gloria said: “It weighed 3.6 carat at 14000 per carat so everything is N64,400. I only need N40,000 to balance up my children’s school fees even my friend that promised to borrow me the money changed her mind for the fear that I will not be able to repay.”

Also Mrs. Ene Ocheme, a business woman from Benue State took her wedding band just five months after her wedding to sell.

Her words: “My mission in Abuja is to sell my golden wedding band to start up a business. My husband lost his job and life has not been easy ever since he lost his job. We have been praying and believing God that he secure another job”.

Back