Sports Ronald de Boer urge Netherlands to fire Guus Hiddink

Former Netherlands forward, Ronald de Boer, has passed a vote-of-no-confidence on the head coach of the Netherlands national team, Guus Hiddink, saying Guus Hiddink has lost it" and should be replaced by his assistant Danny Blind.

The Oranje boys that have struggled all through their Euro 2016 qualifying period beat Latvia 6-0 on Sunday, suffering shock losses to Iceland and Czech Republic.

They were beaten 3-2 by Mexico in a friendly and Hiddink made several changes before the Euro qualifier with Latvia, with only one defender playing in both games.

And De Boer believes the veteran's position is untenable, insisting that Blind must be promoted from his role as assistant coach.

"Guus Hiddink has lost it." he told Fox Sports.

"Normally a coach has an idea, he wants a to go in a certain direction. But then he takes them in a completely different direction.

"Against Mexico, he plays with a defence that he then decides is no longer good enough to play against Latvia. What kind of logic is that?

"You want to start developing the team a bit, but then you go start again with a completely different setup.

"[Memphis] Depay, for example, played against Mexico, but you will never lose against Latvia, so you should just leave Depay in the team.

"He is one of the greatest talents we have and it will give him confidence. I think it was a strange decision not to play him against Latvia.

"It seems logical to me to give Danny Blind a chance. I'm sure Danny can handle it."

Back