World Terminally-ill 5-Year Old Boy Dies In Father Christmas' Hands

P

PressRoom

Dressed up as Santa Claus, Eric Schmitt-Matzen rushed to a local in Tennessee hospital after receiving a call about a terminally ill five-year-old boy who wanted to see Santa Claus. Eric fulfilled the dying boy's Christmas wish by visiting him at his bedside.

The 60-year-old US man said he gave the child a present and a big hug before holding him as he died.

santa.PNG
The boy's family watched on from the hallway as they cried, Eric told the BBC.

"When I felt the life go from him, I looked up, tears running down my face, and looked over at the window and that's when mom started screaming,"

He said he had asked family members to remain outside the room if they were going to break into tears when he arrived for the visit.

"I have to be the happy guy that makes this kid feel great and smile and forget his worries," he said.

"I said: 'If you're going to lose it, you have step out in the hallway and afterwards, I'll stand out in the hall and cry with you.'"

Mr Schmitt-Matzen said he has played the role professionally for six years. His wife, Sharon, also dresses up as Mrs Claus.

While some Santas have gone 30 or 40 years without ever paying a death bed visit, Mr Schmitt-Matzen said he has four times.

Back