Metro Terror Group Sends Bomb Letter to UI, Tension Envelopes Students

L

LequteMan

A terror group has sent a letter to authorities at the University of Ibadan, threatening to bomb the institution before October 1st. The letter was circulated among staff members and students, causing tension and fear.

The group, al-wilayat al-Islamiyya Gharb Afriqiyyah, say it will attack UI for bringing western education into Nigeria.

“You people are an embarrassment to Nigeria and are the people that brought in western education to Nigeria. You doomed this nation and in turn you all are going to be doomed. Most of you are going to die before Independence Day. You will not spend the Independence Day in peace, you and your students," the group said.

“Detonation will start going from tomorrow till Independence Day and there is nothing you can do as we are among you. Even your little searches at the gate won’t do anything. By the time we are through with you, your government will be sorry.”

Authorities have dismissed the threat, saying it's the handwork of confusionists and that it has beefed up security measures.

Attachments

• University-of-Ibadan-UI.jpg
    University-of-Ibadan-UI.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
This is an empty threat. The school had a similar threat in 2011. They were to bomb the school on or before 3pm on a certain Thursday. There was a mass exodus of students from the school before that time. Nothing happened eventually. Only courageous students like us stayed back in the school then.

The name al-Islamiyya Gharb Afriqiyyah doesn't sound like any terrorist group we know of and their claim is baseless. You may not find any other story about the group online other than the one about this threat.

On my source of courage..., well, I was one of the leaders of an organization on campus at that time and I felt it wouldn't be okay to leave if some of our members were still around. I wanted to be one of the last men standing. We weren't also sure about the threat as there were many rumours around it, eventually it didn't happen.

@Temitope I salute your courage and "strongmanship" but sometimes don't you think it's better to take full precautions?

The group might not be prominent nor have a strong online presence but their threat shouldn't be dismissed with a wave of the arm. Maybe nothing happened the last time because the culprits were captured.

Back