Two Nigerian Teenagers Develop Cure for Mouth Odour, Bag Life Science Award

L

LequteMan

Eveshorhema Samuel-Alli and Ibukunoluwa Oladeinde, representing #Nigeria at the 2014 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair in Los Angeles, California, USA, have bagged Life Science Award of $1,000 in the Medicine and Health Science category, courtesy, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, for finding a cure for Halistosis a.k.a mouth odour.

The two students of #Doregos Private Academy, Ipaja, Lagos, carried out research on African walnut (Coula edulis), a member of the tree nut family common in Nigeria.

At the end, they discovered that apart from its cancer-fighting properties, rare antioxidants, benefits for the heart and circulatory system, weight control, improved reproductive health in men, brain health and diabetes, walnut could also cure bad breath.

According to Eveshorhema, the idea for this project came while on a school trip to a rural area in Nigeria where the host community served them walnuts.

“When I woke up in the morning, I hadn’t brushed my teeth yet but my breath was already fresh. Then I remembered I had eaten walnuts the previous night.” To confirm her suspicion, she ate more nuts the following night and awoke with fresh breath again and that made them to carry out further research.

Attachments

• black_woman_hand_mouth.jpg
    black_woman_hand_mouth.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 11