Sports IAAF Investigating Lamine Diack For Allege Dope Cover Up

The International Association of Athletics Federation have confirmed that it is investigating it's immediate past president, Lamine Diack, after his administration was accused of cover up for some athletes.

lamine-diack.jpg

Diack, who was arrested on Sunday was released by the authorities and released on Tuesday, but the body will continue to look into the case of some Russian athletes he covered their cases while in office.

The Senegalese retired from his postiton as the president of the IAAF which lasted for 16 years in August and handed over to Sebastian Coe.

“The IAAF confirms that, emanating from separate ongoing investigations by WADA’s independent commission and the IAAF’s own independent ethics commission into allegations surrounding its anti-doping rules and regulations, a French police investigation has now commenced.

“The IAAF is fully cooperating with all investigations as it has been from the beginning of the process."

“As part of the French investigation, police visited the IAAF HQ offices (on Tuesday) to carry out interviews and to access documentation.”

German broadcaster, ARD, had alleged in 2014 that positive dope tests involving Russian athletes were covered up by some IAAF officials.

Coincidentally, Coe, who is on a visit to Russia, reacted to the issue of doping in the sports.

“This has been a very productive visit to Moscow. I was able to meet and interact directly with Russian athletes, coaches and officials, and I appreciate their openness, passion for our sport and noted a real appetite for change."

“I also felt a very strong support for our plans to modernise athletics. I expressed my uncompromising position on the issue of doping in athletics and the importance for the sport to build trust and defend clean athletes at all times.”

Back