Metro Nigerian Scientist Develops Innovative Malaria Test, Bags $100,000

P

ProfRem

A Nigerian scientist, Eddy Agbo, has won the Health Innovation Challenge Award for designing a Fyodor Urine Malaria Test kit.

Agbo, who received $100,000 for the feat, beat 11 other scientists at the maiden edition of the award organised by the Private Sector Health Alliance of Nigeria and the Nigeria Health Innovation Marketplace in Lagos.

malaria.jpg

The kit, he said, would prevent patients from experiencing the cumbersome process of taking blood samples during malaria tests.

Agbo, a United States-based scientist, added that the kit would encourage more patients who do not like needle pricks to undergo testing, just as it would reduce the incidence of self-medication and misdiagnosis of malaria infections.

He said, “I worked on the test kit for seven years. Growing up in Nigeria and knowing the environment, you start to realise some of our major needs. I got to a stage in my life that I began to think of how I can use science to solve some of the major problems in our society. I started thinking about this because I realised the impact it would have on the people.”

According to him, anyone can use the kit, which will soon be available in pharmacies across the country.

Back