Politics Nigeria's Arms Deal Scandal Tears PDP into 4 Factions

P

ProfRem

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has been torn into four camps over the $2.1 billion arms deal scandal which involved many high-ranking members of the party been dragged to court by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), DailyTrust revealed.

- One of the factions has sympathy for former President Goodluck Jonathan,

- One has sympathy for Uche Secondus and his group in the NWC,

- another is headed by some of the governors and the Minority Leader, Senator Godswill Akpabio, while

- another faction was created a few days ago by the deputy national officers of the party.

pdp.jpeg

A chieftain of the party in Osun State, Mr Jackson Lekan Ojo, told Daily Trust that the party may not be the same again, as some of the factions have taken an irreconcilable posture which could lead to the formation of another political party before 2019 general elections.

According to Mr Ojo, “To me, for the PDP to rule at the centre again, it must change name, and I want to talk like a political prophet. I foresee very clearly today that the PDP at the end of the day will scatter. Some progressives element will go out. The progressives will turn to another party. “Some of the progressives in the PDP and the APC will come together under the umbrella of another party before 2019. But we are talking about the PDP today,” he said.

DailyTrust

Back