World The Oscars Scandal: “Best Song” Nominee Disqualified for “Influencing Voters”

Vunderkind

Social Member
Bruce Broughton, a contender for this year’s Oscars best song has had his nomination revoked after it has been discovered that he contacted voters.

Bruce Broughton – who is a former Academy governor – has been revealed to have used his position to promote the title song to the movie Alone Yet Not Alone (an independent Christian-themed film.)

The Academy said his emails to the voters gave the “appearance of an unfair advantage,” although they were “well-intentioned.”

Boughton on the other hand has said that he is “devastated” by the Academy’s decision. "I indulged in the simplest grass roots campaign and it went against me when the song started getting attention. I got taken down by competition that had months of promotion and advertising behind them. I simply asked people to find the song and consider it."

The removed track will not be replaced by a new contender, meaning there will be only four compositions to compete for the Best Original Song title at the Oscars this year.

Attachments

• bruce.jpg
    bruce.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 5
Back