Politics Live Updates from the Anambra 2013 Governorship Election

Vunderkind

Social Member
At the end of today's voting exercise, the people of Anambra would have one of the 23 governorship aspirants as their official governor.

Although there are 23 running contestants, five of the 23 are tipped as favorites, and it is believed that president Goodluck Jonathan is rooting for Mr Tony Nwoye of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)

Background
The Police has banned public movement from Friday to Sunday in anticipation of a breakout of violence in the state during the election period.

During the pre-election debates, senator Chris Ngige and Chief Willie Obiano emerged on top with their impressive attacks against each other to the thrill of the viewers. Other formidable opponents include Mr. Ifeanyi Ubah and Mr Godwin Ezeemo.

Updates
Palpable tension descended upon Anambra state since Thursday, especially felt in the capital city, Awka. Police officers and other security enforcers have mounted roadblocks, and in a bid to beat the movement restriction, voters who registered in their villages had to move out of the cities very early on Friday to beat the 6pm no-movement order issued by the Police

Many Awka residents say they are unhappy with and scared about the heavy security in the state, as it brings with it a sense of foreboding. People are afraid that the thousands of weapons in the hands of private individuals make it easy for violence to break out.

A lot of people believe the tension is, in fact, unnecessary, and that the election doesn’t require as much vigilance and security gridlocks.

There are reports that vigilantes were being disarmed in a preemptive measure to curb violence. Reports say that about 10,000 vigilantes from more than 700 formations are right now being disarmed.

The Independent National Electoral Commission has provided 4,608 polling units and 326 wards in 21 local government areas of Anambra state.

More updates to follow…
nigeria_ballot_box-1.jpg

Some voters, however, say they will be voting for Willie Obiano of APGA, simply on the basis of continuity. According to them, it is better to vote 'the devil you know, than the angel you do not know'

Still on the issue, there are concerns that rumors of Obiano's disqualification which are currently spreading at polling points may cause a drop in Obiano's voters.

However, there is reason to believe that Obiano and Tony Nwoye will share the votes coming from the Anambra North Senatorial district, since both men hail from that district.

Does this spell bad luck for Willie Obiano?

"Nigerian Entertainers are in Support of Obiano" - Bob-Manuel Udokwu
According to Bob-Manuel Udokwu, most of Nigeria's artistes are from Anambra state, and they are currently in their various LGA's voting for Obiano.

Mr Udokwu, who is the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Obi on Creative Media is usually the only Nollywood persona found in Obiano's entourage, as opposed to the hundreds on Ngige's side.

When asked about this, he said “If my colleagues were invited for a meeting with one of the candidates and they attended, that does not translate to victory for the candidate.’’

As at 11:09am, voting materials were yet to arrive Ogidi (which is at Idemili North Lga)

Given that the elections began by 9am in most voting centres, does this mean that the Idemili North citizens will not be voting today?

There are rumors that Mallam Nasir El-Rufai has been detained by men of the SSS at the Finotel Hotel, Awka.

According to the story, El-Rufai had gone on early morning monitoring but returned to his hotel shortly after to pick up something. As he made to leave again, about 40 men of the State Security Service barricaded the hotel and insisted that he wouldn't leave.

This hasn't been verified yet.

Meanwhile...check out a Tweet by Nasir El-Rufai here:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In Awka for the Anambra Governorship election. We pray for clean, credible elections in which the best man Dr. Chris Ngige will win...Amen!</p>&mdash; Nasir El-Rufai (@elrufai) <a href="">November 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

25 men have been arrested by soldiers for violating the no-movement order made by the police.

Meanwhile, four policemen coming to Anambra for
the election have been killed by gunmen...

And now we have confirmation of El-Rufai's detention from El-Rufai himself...via his twitter page...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The DG-SSS did not pick my call, yet to call back. I have complained to another senior officer. It is unlawful detention &amp; will be resisted!</p>&mdash; Nasir El-Rufai (@elrufai) <a href="">November 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I intend to discharge my duties today no matter what, and will go out when ready. I will dare the SSS to shoot.....we wait and see...thanks.</p>&mdash; Nasir El-Rufai (@elrufai) <a href="">November 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In the midst of a phone interview with AIT&#39;s Obiora Ilo, the SSS forcefully and unlawfully seized the phone thus abruptly end the interview.</p>&mdash; Nasir El-Rufai (@elrufai) <a href="">November 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Meanwhile, in the midst of social media complaints that accreditation is yet to comments in several polling units, Chief Willie Obiano has come out once and for all to say that he has not been disqualified.

Elections at Alor, Idemili South are peaceful but some of the registered voters complained that their names are missing from INEC register.

"If I have my way, El-Rufai should be bundled out of Anambra State. What is he doing here? This is not Kaduna State!" - Gov Obi

Back